Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Dorothy Jenna has arrived...

Rory, Dory Dot Dorothy - whatever we call her she is home and healthy and happy. Dvorah Yaira was born 12.27 at 8:04 am. I was actually very relaxed once I had the spinal - for some reason the oxgyn in my nose was very comforting, helping me breathe. They found lots of adhesions but worked around them. Doc said my uterus was about 1/2 inch thick vs 1 3/4 inches but we were with 2 great doctors. Abdehlak was great and Rubenstein who he teams with were both fantastic and calm. Mike sat with his hand on my head and talked me through it - reminding me they were calm. I kept asking for the anestesiologist who was a fantastic bedside doc - Doctor Block - reassuring me everything was great every few minutes.

Recovery has been pretty good. The hostpial was as expected. I never remember much about the first day or two - but the first day back at home was rough. That night I turned extremely pale and started shaking in the bathroom - uncontrollably. Mike walked me to the bed and covered me and held me down while I shook until I slept. We have a nurse here so now I feel sort of silly having a nurse and Lilia but I have taken a nap each day and even am allowing meals from the shul. Not answering work emails.

I look forward to having more strangth at the end of the week to spend more time with Dorothy. I struggle with her name. I have to get comfortable witht eh fact that we named her and D after gram - I somehow feel guilty about it. - Like it takes something away from Daron to have done that.

I am nursing and pumping and it is going well. I had one horrible day at the hospital with much pain - shabbos. One of the lactation consultants - Dorothy was mean - yelling at me for including formula telling me I was starting the weaning process. Another one - Loise maybe - was unbelievable. She put a sympathetic hand on my shoulder and helped show me how to latch on and then said "would you like to stop now?" and I shook my head no. And she said "really? would you like to stop now, you have been nursing for 1 1/2 hours and are bleeding and sore. would you like to stop" and I said yes and cried and cried and she showed me how to pump withe the electric pump and told mike to give her a finger to suck and walk with her and then we fed her the ounce I pumped and then we were off and since then pumping and nursing thank god are pleasant experiences.

I must send thank you to Dr. A and R and Block and to this lactation consultant and a nurse named Patricia who was great.
We had the room just in front of the nurses station which was great.
I walked a lot around the halls althought sadly the new beautiful building doesnt let you look in to see the babies so I only saw the nursury once.
I miss Dorothy right now as she sleeps in he room with Chanty. I appreciate the help but look forward to being in charge:)

No comments: